Follow us on >>
Country +
au pair
Do you want to travel well-prepared? Here you will find useful information about all the countries of the world.

Click on 'Au pair Information' for specific au pair information by country. Helpful for au pairs and families!

Click on a letter

A B C D E F G H I J K L M Show countries with
au pair information



Country info

Au pair info

Capital Amsterdam
Population 16,645,000
Area 41,543
Currency Euro (€)
Spoken languages Dutch
Pocket money € 300 – € 340 (EUR) per month
Working hours Max. 30 hours per week and no more than 8 hours per day.
Age Au pair visa:
18 – 25 years

Working Holiday visa:
18 – 30 years

Au pair in Netherlands

Would you like to come to the Netherlands in the context of a cultural exchange program? For a stay of over 90 days, you must apply for a residence permit unless you are a national of a country that belongs to the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

Only a recognised au pair agency can submit an application on behalf of an au pair. The au pair agency has to be recognised by the IND as a sponsor. As such, an au pair agency that is not recognised by the IND cannot act as a sponsor for an au pair.

Relevant links


Au pair program

General conditions

  • The foreign national has a valid passport.
  • The foreign national does not pose a threat to public order or national security. The foreign national has not been convicted for a crime and has not committed any war crimes, acts of terrorism or crimes against humanity.
  • The foreign national must take out healthcare insurance in the Netherlands.
  • The foreign national has not given false information or has withheld important information to support any previous applications.
  • The foreign national must undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test in the Netherlands. The foreign national must undergo this test within 3 months after the residence permit has been issued. If necessary, the foreign national must be treated for TB.

If the foreign national comes from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Suriname, Switzerland, the United States of America or an EEA or EU-country, then no TB test will be required.

Specific conditions for the au pair and the host family

  • At the time of submitting the application for the residence permit, the au pair is at least 18 years of age, but not yet 31.
  • The au pair has not previously held a Dutch residence permit for exchange purposes.
  • The au pair is registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (GBA) at the same address as the host family.
  • The au pair is staying in a host family consisting of 2 or more persons for whom the au pair has not previously worked (abroad).
  • The au pair will only carry out light domestic duties for a maximum of 8 hours per day and a maximum of 30 hours per week. The au pair will have at least 2 days off per week. The au pair is not allowed to perform activities for persons who require more specialised care, which requires specific skills. These duties are not light domestic duties.
  • The au pair and the host family must draw up and sign a daily schedule for the au pair on which both parties agree.
  • The host family has sufficient long-term means of support for the au pair and for their own family.
  • The au pair may not pay more than a maximum amount of €34 to a (Dutch or foreign) mediation agency (au pair agency) or exchange organisation for example as a registration fee and/or a mediation fee and/or a fee for following a course in preparation of the stay in the Netherlands.
    The following costs are not taken into consideration for the amount of €34: 
    - Travel expenses (costs for travelling to and from the Netherlands)
    - Visa expenses (including related travel and accommodation expenses)
    - Expenses for the application, translation and legalisation for a birth certificate
  • The au pair is not allowed to pay a sum of money as a security deposit (or bond) to a (Dutch or foreign) mediation agency (au pair agency) or exchange organisation.
  • The au pair is not allowed to conclude a contract with a host family or a (Dutch or foreign) mediation agency (au pair agency) or exchange organisation pursuant to which the au pair is obliged to pay money or a penalty by way of a sanction for failing to comply with one or more provisions of this contract.

How does the application procedure work?
If you have collected all necessary documents and documentary evidence, you can submit an application for a residence permit.To enter and stay in the Netherlands for than 3 months, the au pair will, in many cases, require a special visa. This is called a regular provisional residence permit (mvv). You will then need to follow the procedure called Entry and Residence (TEV). 

The au pair does not require an mvv if he originates from one of the following countries:

  • EU, EEA or Switzerland
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Vatican City
  • United States of America
  • South Korea

Residence permit without an mvv
Does the au pair not need to have an mvv? In that case, please submit an application for a residence permit without an mvv.

You can best do this if the au pair is still residing abroad. As soon as the IND has given notice it will issue a residence permit, the au pair can then travel to the Netherlands. You will then have the certainty that the au pair will not travel to the Netherlands for nothing (should the application be refused for example). You can also submit an application while the au pair is already in the Netherlands. The au pair will then have to await the procedure first and you will not be certain if the au pair will be granted a residence permit. Moreover, it may be difficult to get all documents required to the Netherlands. If the application is granted, you will be notified as to when the au pair can collect the residence permit.

Entry and residence procedure (TEV)
Does the au pair require an mvv? In that case, please submit a combined application for an mvv and a residence permit. This is called the procedure for 'Entry and Residence' (TEV procedure). If the IND has no objection to grant an mvv, you can inform the au pair of this. The au pair must then make an appointment with the Dutch embassy or Dutch consulate to collect the mvv within 3 months after the IND has sent notice. After having received the mvv, the au pair will have 3 months to travel to the Netherlands. When the au pair arrives in the Netherlands, he can collect his residence permit. The IND will inform you as to when and where the au pair can collect the residence document.

What rights correspond to the residence permit?
Here, you can see which rights you have with a residence permit for cultural exchange.

  • You stay in the Netherlands for a maximum of 1 year with your residence permit. The residence permit is valid as long as you fulfil the conditions. The residence permit cannot be extended.
  • As an au pair, you may only carry out light household tasks for your host family. As an exchange youngster, you may only work as a volunteer if this is within the context of the exchange program set up by the cultural exchange organisation.
  • You cannot apply for a residence permit for family-members or relatives.
Photos are copyrighted by their owners.

Other photos (you can select multiple photos at once)

Log in with your AupairQuest or Facebook account
Email address