Follow us on >>
Country +
au pair
Do you want to travel well-prepared? Here you will find useful information about all the countries of the world.

Click on 'Au pair Information' for specific au pair information by country. Helpful for au pairs and families!

Click on a letter

A B C D E F G H I J K L M Show countries with
au pair information



Country info

Au pair info

Capital Dublin
Population 4,622,917
Area 84,421
Currency Euro (€)
Spoken languages Irish
Pocket money € 100 (EUR) per week
Working hours 25 – 35 hours per week
Age Canada:
18 – 35 years

Other countries:
18 - 30 years

Au pair in Ireland

Ireland does not have an official au pair program. However, nationalities of the EU and EFTA may work in Ireland without a work permit. For other nationalities Ireland offers programs as well.

Relevant links


Working holiday arrangements

Ireland’s working holiday agreements with other governments allow young people of both countries to fund an extended holiday through temporary work.

Irish citizens
If you’re an Irish citizen and you want to go on a working holiday to a country with which we have an agreement, you need to apply to that country for authorisation and ensure you meet their criteria.

Non-Irish citizens
If you want to work during your holiday in Ireland, you need to apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA) from your nearest Irish Embassy/Consulate or relevant organisation.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and our representatives and agents, reserve the right to ask for further documentation and/or to refuse any application for a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA).

Sufficient funds
You must have enough money to support yourself for at least the first part of your holiday or in case you don’t find work. Immigration officials may ask for proof that you have sufficient funds when you enter Ireland.

Medical insurance
It is strongly recommended that you get private medical insurance to cover any costs in case you have an accident or fall ill while in Ireland.

Immigration controls
If you have a WHA, you’re still subject to normal immigration controls when you enter Ireland. As a non-EU national, you must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days.  There is a fee of €300 for the issue of a Garda (police) registration card.

How to apply


Non-Irish citizens apply to:

Irish citizens apply to:


Embassy of Ireland in Buenos Aires

FAQs Argentina


Embassy of Ireland in Canberra 

Australian Visa Office in London


Student Work Abroad Programme(on behalf of Embassy of Ireland in Ottawa)

International Experience Canada - Embassy of Canada

Hong Kong

Ireland’s Honorary Consulate in Hong Kong

Hong Kong Immigration Department


Embassy of Ireland in Tokyo

Embassy of Japan in Dublin

New Zealand

Ireland’s Honorary Consulate in Auckland

Immigration New Zealand

South Korea

Embassy of Ireland in Seoul 

Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Dublin 


Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service

Taipei Representative Office in Ireland


Ireland’s Embassies or Consulates in the USA

US Embassy in Dublin

Photos are copyrighted by their owners.

Other photos (you can select multiple photos at once)

Log in with your AupairQuest or Facebook account
Email address